Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Gluten Free Stuffing

Being gluten free is made a little easier by having recipes like this one, and for that I am thankful.

As Everyone is planning their menus for thanksgiving I submit to you my cornbread stuffing recipe I found a few years ago.  If made with a gluten free corn bread recipe, it's also naturally gluten free.  Your celiac family will love you for it.  Stuffing was the one Thanksgiving thing I really missed when switching to a gluten free diet.  I make a huge batch so I can freeze a left-over casserole.  Seriously, this is way better than Stoffers and not that hard to make.

You Will Need
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 2 Cups of onion chopped
- 1 Cup of celery
- 2 Cups of Chicken Broth
- 1 16 oz can of corn (drained)
- 2 4 oz can of chilies (optional but very good)
- 3 tbs of fresh parsley (dried is OK, fresh is better)
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp of oregano
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 6 cups of crumbled corn bread
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans

Saute the onion and celery with the butter, then combine all the remaining ingredients in a large enough casserole (I generally use 2) and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Feel free to add any other goodies like browned sausage.  I wouldn't recommend cooking this in the bird because by the time the stuffing would be done the turkey would be very dry and over-cooked.

I generally cook this the night before then reheat in the oven while the turkey is resting. 
This Recipe Serves 8 I generally double for my group of 15, we still have mounds left over.

No comments:

Post a Comment