Monday, April 30, 2012

What I Learned From Freezer Cooking

I decided to cook all my meals for a month in one day again : )  In fact I've been cooking and freezing meals all day long.

You may wonder why someone would want to cook all their meals for the month in one day, when last month her house almost burned down (that might be a slight exaggeration). The fact of the matter is, cooking once a month means  A LOT of work in one day. But that's just it, it's JUST ONE day.

I was inspired after hearing the author of Once-A-Month Cooking on Focus on the Family last month, and I immediately started writing out a meal plan.
It made my evenings so much smoother last month and we had no emergency take out trips.  It also lowered our grocery budget slightly.

I normally would need to make up to three meals in one night because of picky eaters, so having a meal already made for our entree was great.  It just meant heating up a side or two I knew everyone would eat.

Everything I made turned out well after freezing too, with the exception of one rice dish that my husband and I didn't really care for.  My picky eaters however gobbled it up, go figure.

My favorite part about this whole endevour was how much faster I was able to clean my kitchen during the month.

Last month our menu included:

  • Cheesy chicken and rice with broccoli
  • Italian Chicken and rice
  • Beef and cheese enchiladas
  • Corned Beef
  • Turkey Roast
  • Sloppy Joes
  • Meat Loaf
  • Spaghetti and Meatballs

Hopefully I'll be able to ad some recipe links within the next few days.  In the mean time I would love to know what meals that you've made that freeze well.


Be sure to join my Tuesday Link-up at Lessons From Ivy.  (the other link parties I frequent are in my sidebar)



1 comment:

  1. That's great! I've never made all my meals for one month before, but I stash premade parts of meals in the freezer pretty frequently (more so lately thanks to Money Saving Mom's series, haha). I freeze beans, lentils, chicken stock, pizza dough, and cooked chicken and beef.

    ReplyDelete